“Everything is clearer when you’re in love.”
Shout out to John Lennon for today’s inspiration. First, two posts in one day? Aren’t you all lucky ducks? I saw this quote and after having a beautiful discussion/conversation/reaffirmation with one of my best friends in the entire world this morning, I realized something. I realized that this quote needs something added on to the end. “with yourself.” Everything is clearer when you’re in love with yourself.
Self-love is an imperative that many people forget when they’re loving others. Myself included. I believe that I am a lover, not a fighter, and because of that love channeled so powerfully toward others, I have in the past lost sight of the love that I need to feel for myself.
Recently, I’ve been re-exploring self-love and what is absolutely brilliant is the fact that I’ve never been so sure of myself than I have been since I started learning to love myself in all my flaws and awesomeness. I know what I want, I know what I need, and guess what? I’m having a hell of a good time in my final year of undergraduate work. I have been identifying the people who most reinforce this self-love and those are the people who, I believe, will continue to empower this feeling in me.
I’m beginning to feel the glimmers of confidence in places where there was none before: my writing, my dancing…the things at which I spend every day working. I am learning this through loving myself.
So, thanks John Lennon, for articulating why things are getting clearer for me.
I just want you all to know that I’ve never been so sure about what I want to do with my life than I am right now.
I have two wonderful roommates. One of my roommates likes to blog and after reading one of her entries about making happy lists, I decided to make a happylist of my own! I’ve been thinking a lot about, as she puts it, “shutting up and realizing that life is fabulous and there are plenty of reasons to be happy.” Even though I sometimes make it very difficult to order anything in a restaurant, and I happen to like some sense of order, this is going to be a fun little list of happyness.
There are my awesome roommates, by the way
1. Sitting on the floor, eating carrots, listening to matt nathanson, and folding laundry with my roommates.
2. Dancing across the dining hall to contact-improv with one of my dance girls in which we dance in each others negative space and end up on the floor.
3. A good cuppa tea (even when it can’t be my mom’s, Tazo Chai comes close), while teaching people Gujurati phrases
4. Reading T.S. Eliot poems out loud to my roommate while she strings paper cranes to hang up in our apartment.
5. Rolling down the windows and singing Defying Gravity over and over again while driving through the ghetto to get to wal-mart (even when I can’t find the harmony).
6. spending time with the cutest little baby I know. Especially when she grabs my nose and squeals out of excitement.
7. TheDailyLove.com, and the daily emails that remind me to spread love and joy in the world by first loving myself.
8. Crossing things off my to-do list. all day, errry day. It’s just so satisfying to scribble through “Read 120 pages in [such and such] book”
9. Getting packages in the mail unexpectedly, especially when they’re from my sister for DIWALI
10. My niece (the one who told me I should work at wal-mart after I get my masters <3)
11. pizza, in any capacity.
12. Cute, sleeping puppies!!!
That’s all for now folks, but I hope everyone is happily getting through midterms and all of those fun things.