Despite the title, I assure you, I’m not writing about a recent visit to the dentist. I will, however, be accounting what’s been going on in my life for the last few days. And how it’s made me feel the need to “open up.”
I’ve moved to Tallahassee to begin my Masters’ programme and I can’t help but be giddy with excitement about this coming semester. I’ve always been a bit nerdy and in love with school supplies, but this year is a whole different school, with different people, and even a new apartment and car. It’s incredibly exciting.
I want to go into this “new” life with an open mind and heart and approach everything, even those with whom I do not agree, with more love and understanding than frustration. It’s not the new year, but what a time to have goals anyway!
I feel like when I sat down to write this, I had many more things to write but they’ve all escaped me so I’m just going to make a list of things that make me happy.
- Making photo collages on my bedroom wall in my new apartment, and then getting so over zealous that I go and print tons more pictures because I remember how much I love and adore my friends
- Looking at Laban scores while I’m unpacking and getting up and doing some of the movement.
- Buying school supplies! Notebooks, pens, binders OH MY
- How I Met Your Mother marathons on FX while I’m decorating binder covers
- The difficulty falling asleep before the first day of school, after picking out my outfit and packing my backpack
- Trader Joe’s milk chocolate, bow-tie pasta, and smoked gouda
- any and all text messages from EMILY
- Writing emails to some of my favourite people
- Re-reading amazing books like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
- Queso and Tacos with my new roomies! As well as being advised on where the less busy Target, Walmart, and Publix are (lord knows I wanted to start hitting people when I went grocery shopping around campus)
- New nail polish! Four years ago my sisterbear told me when I was homesick to go to CVS and get myself some eyeshadow and it would cheer me up. Today, I was just feeling a bit glum/bored/missing home/missing my sisterbear so I went to Walmart and bought myself some new nail polish, and after I shower I’m going to give myself a nice mani for the first day of school!
That’s all for now!
Maybe there’s something you’re afraid to say, or someone you’re afraid to love, or somewhere you’re afraid to go. It’s gonna hurt. It’s gonna hurt because it matters. — John Green